"When you give a gift made with love,
It turns it into something priceless."

Get Hooked Website

My NEW LOOK Website Get Hooked on Crochet is here

Online Crochet Course

Learn to Crochet ONLINE
All 3 courses available in UK Crochet Terminology -Learn to Crochet from the comfort of your own home when YOU have some spare time, whatever time of day! The course never closes so you can return as often as you like, as many times as you like + you can add questions & photo's & have me as your virtual Crochet Teacher !

Followers

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Tales from - Get Hooked - Crochet Classes for Beginners - Lesson #1

Since my last post, I am pleased to say that the Crochet Classes are going very well.  I take individual classes at home and also group classes at two local Craft Shops.

My pupils ages vary - from  Mid Twenties to an 80 year old Great Grandmother, total beginners, knitters and some who are simply reviving a lost skill.

Most want to book a 1 hour class to start of with, but from experience I advise them to book up a 2 hour class and all who have done this so far are surprised at how quickly the two hours have gone!  All have re booked a 2nd and even a 3rd class and a 2 hour class too!

In the first lesson I teach them how to make a slip knot (I am slightly surprised at how many people don't know how to make one, but then again I was a Girl Guide many moons ago) and then a foundation chain.

Tension and holding the hook and wool correctly are all being practiced at the same time as the foundation chain is made and pupils soon realise how important getting the tension right can be once they start to work the 1st row and realise that they can't get their hook into the foundation chain, so the learn to work a little looser next time the make a foundation chain!!

Next I teach Single Crochet / Slip Stitch.  Although this stitch is mainly used mainly for joining & positioning the hook/wool to the right place, it's a good stitch to learn as it's a basic for Double Crochet and it gets the pupils more used to the feel of crochet, especially if they are a knitter!

That's it for the first lesson, oh apart from the turning chain and sending them away with homework, which is to come back next week with a DC square or two to show me!!

So armed with a leaflet all about the stitches they had learnt in Lesson #1 off they went.

Today, 3 of the ladies who came to my Group Class at the Craft shop last week, were proudly showing me their DC squares in various colours and sizes!!  They all got LOADS of praise - I was thrilled at what they had turned out and how quickly they had learnt - especially the 80 year old who went through most of her 1st lesson saying that she couldn't "get it" and she wouldn't be returning!

One lady who came to a private class had not only completed a DC square but a DC round and a watch strap too.  Another lady looked worried and asked if I would tell her off as she didn't make the Hairband that she was so keen to make at the end of lesson #1 as she ran out of time!



More "tales" on Lesson #2 coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a Comment - I love to get Comments and I will reply as soon as I put my hook and yarn down!